Saturday, March 26, 2016

Perfectly Boiled & Peeled Eggs


We eat eggs all the time in my house. I like to mix up how I cook them but one way I never could get just right was the hard boiled egg....until last week! I finally figured out how to make them so they peel perfectly. With Easter coming up, wanted to share this precious knowledge and save others the angst I've felt for years!

I've looked up numerous videos and blog posts on how to make perfectly boiled eggs and all is well until it's time to peel the eggs. Unfortunately, the fresher the egg, the harder to peel. On a lucky day, they peel well, but for the most part, I end up peeling off half the white with the shell and they end up bumpy skinned. Boo.

Last week, I had a nerdy moment. The OCD part of me felt so satisfied cause I found the trick! You know those cute little pointy handles you can buy to hold corn on the cob? They are the key! Before you boil your eggs, gently poke a hole (or 2) in one end of your egg. That's it! This allows a tiny bit of water into your egg that helps separate the egg from the thin film of skin that makes it impossible to cleanly peel your egg. So simple, right? Oh! You can use a tack too but I prefer to use cooking tools on food if I can help it.

So this is what I do...

1. Poke a tiny hole into the egg of each egg and place in a pot.
2. Place your eggs inside and cover them completely with cold water.
3. Bring your pot to a boil, then turn off your stovetop.
4. Let eggs sit for 10-12 minutes for hard boiled eggs and 5-7 minutes for soft boiled eggs.
5. Pour out the hot water and immediately add ice and run cold water over eggs, keeping them inside the pot.
6. Tap each egg on your counter top on all sides and peel away with ease. The shell will peel off in large connected chunks!
7. Quick rinse and that's it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...